Summer is the time for reading quality books, relaxing, enjoying the company of good friends and cooking the easiest things. It certainly isn’t the time to sacrifice chocolate though. Some friends of mine say they cannot eat chocolate in summer. I didn’t ask for a reason. Not because I wasn’t interested mind you, but I cannot imagine my life without chocolate, not even for a couple of months. And let’s face it I’ve heard that dark chocolate can even be good for you. So on that note, last week, I made a recipe from Nigella Express (one of my go-tos for instant inspiration) with very slight variations and loved it of course. I must tell you that these babies are really really rich and if I were you I would serve them in something smaller than the ramekins in my photo. J said shot glasses will do and I agree. In that case you will end up with around 8-10 servings. For those allergic to eggs, this one’s for you. It’s also a quick option to rustle up when you have unexpected guests. You will need:
- 150g mini marshmallows
- 45g butter, softened
- 250g dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 60ml hot water
- 300ml double cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium-sized saucepan place the marshmallows, butter, chocolate and water and gently allow to melt on the heat while stirring occasionally. As soon as everything has melted, switch the hob off and allow the mixture to cool down.
- Then in a bowl whip up the double cream and the vanilla until the cream forms firm peaks. Fold this into the melted chocolate mixture until smooth.
- All you need to do now is to divide this chocolaty yummy-ness into 6-8 shot glasses or ramekins. Keep the containers small.
I certainly want to try making the proper eggy-type mousse one day but for now this is what I need. I think you do too! Thank you Nigella.